Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov (L) and U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry speak to the media regarding the current situation in Syria, at the United Nations headquarters in Manhattan, New York September 30, 2015.
Russian air forces carried out 20 sorties during the first round of air strikes against the Islamic State(IS) in Syria, hitting eight targets, including a command center, Russian Defense Ministry said on Wednesday.
Eight facilities held by the extremist group had been struck, with a command post and militant control centers in the mountainous areas of Syria being completely destroyed, according to the ministry.
The minister also released a 46-second video footage, which appeared to show dozens of ground targets in different locations being struck.
The strikes, stationed at a Syria’s airbase, were conducted after aerial reconnaissance and data clarification with the Syrian government forces, said Defense Ministry spokesman Igor Konashenkov.
No armament was used to target civilian facilities or within their vicinity, he added.
Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov reiterated Wednesday that Russia’s airstrikes in Syria would be temporary, “only for the period of offensive operations carried out by the Syrian army.”
Peskov also urged all involved countries to share information on anti-terrorism through different exchange channels, according to RIA Novosti news agency.
Russia started air campaigns targeting IS ground forces in Syria after the upper house of Russian parliament granted President Vladimir Putin approval to use the air forces in Syria on Wednesday.
Hours after Russian launched its first air strikes, the White House reiterated the need for the United States and Russia to “deconflict” their air operations inside Syria.